Today was like any other day...until I started thinking "wow his head feels awful hot" and it has felt that way for the past 4 days. The rest of his body felt cool to touch and he was acting normal. I went to the neighbors to use their thermometer (can never find one when you need it!) and was horrified to see his temp at 104.5!! I called the clinic and they said to bring him to ER right aways.
At ER the first dr. came in to see me and when he realized his temp was almost 105 instead of 100.5 (what he understood) he quickly sent me to the other area. Once the doctor finally got in to see us he was very concerned. It was a combination...the very high fever...and NO other symptoms whatsoever. So he told me his plan...first was to rule out Meningitis...with a spinal. It was awful :( They had to hold Azlan straight up in a sitting position and I held his hands as he screamed in pain. Never wiggled though. Just sat and screamed. I cried right along with him. Then they took blood...of course it took a few tries. He was an angel. He just laid there never even tried to move his arm. Then we were sent for chest xrays to rule out pneumonia. We came back and waited. This entire time Azlan just lay in my arms looking at me, falling to sleep, waking when poked...falling back to sleep. He was perfect. The nurse came in to tell me Azlan's white blood cell count was 25,000 (instead of 10,000-15,000) clearly indicating an infection. So they wanted an IV in...after looking over his veins they decided to put the IV in his head. Never knew they did that, and it freaked me out for the moment but they did it. It was actually easier in a sense b/c his hands and feet were free. The doctor came in and said he definately does not have Pneumonia, Meningitis or a UTI (bladder infection). There is another number in his blood work that concerned them...I do not know what it was called but he explained it to me that having a number 1 or 2 count in this particular thing would indicate a virus...but Azlan had a count of 6. So he said that was very indicitive of a bacterial infection...yet they couldn't find it. In the end they decided to culture his blood overnight to see "if anything grows" b/c he's wondering if he has a bacterial infection in his blood. If left untreated...could lead to Meningitis or infection of the bone. He gave him a antibiotic and we'll watch his fever to see what happens. When we came home his temp was back up to 104. THey did say to watch him closely and if it climbs that high again...we may be back to the ER.
That was our night. :( Auntie Joni came and stayed with Tirzah and Zion as they napped...and for the rest of the evening as Azlan and I didn't get home til after 7pm.
Say a prayer for our little boy that everything is ok. Its not very 'settling' when you know something is wrong...but you don't know "what".
Monday, March 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You all have been in our prayers. Micah prayed for Azlan too and was quite concerned when I told him Azlan was in the hospital. Ian's trip made a big impression on him.
Please call if you need anything!!
Love, Sarah
Post a Comment