Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Update re: hearing tests

I spoke with my nurse in Seattle regarding the hearing test results. She said it is very common that a baby with a cleft's ears show abnormal results since there is often fluid buildups in the middle ear b/c of the open palate...and yes...they probably do have 'partial hearing loss' but its often temporary. She said...we won't really know until we do the more conclusive tests but she said he may have perfect hearing in the left ear afterall...just not until the palate is closed at his year surgery. She also said that some audiologists are not that used to working with infants and kinda freak out and want to do things under sedation whereas in Seattle Childrens they can usually do it without going to 'such measures'. When I told her about the test done in the sound room she admitted that didn't sound very good ... his lack of response but still said. ..we just don't put a big priority on the hearing until about 6mths when they start to make sounds. I guess it seems kinda odd to me b/c I would have thought you'd want to know BEFORE that point. Anyway...I still talk to him, whisper to him etc...and he smiles and coos...and like Dean said tonight..."well we don't know if he can hear you but he can sure see you". He just watches me...with this intent look in my eyes...and I love every minute of it.

Want to hear something very sad?? Tonight we go to church and I have everything ready on the kitchen counter...Tirzah and Zion's sippy cups...and Azlan's bottle. We get to church and I realize I DON"T HAVE ANY OF THEM. Well its a very helpless feeling with Azlan b/c it is the only way I can feed him. And...I have him on a strict 3 hour schedule which his body is very adjusted to so he KNOWS when the 3 hours are up...and here I am ... with nothing to give him :( He did very well considering...I just had to walk around with him and for the first time...I let him suck on my pinky finger. Tirzah and Zion did but I never tried it with Azlan b/c of his palate. He sucked it so hard that a few times it did slip up into the cleft and was a very weird feeling. We made it home...just at his bedtime and he ate 9oz and is now down for the night. I usually bring TWO bottles everywhere we go just in case we broke down or something so I'd never be stuck and here I am tonight with NOTHING. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself since he's 12wks old tonight and its a first. :)

No comments: